Home-brewed coffee is becoming extremely popular these days. With the convenience they offer, value for money features and good coffee taste produced, coffee makers like the Keurig K45 are fast selling like hotcakes.
The Keurig K45 is one of the most popular low price items of the Keurig line of single cup coffee makers. It is able to brew a cup of coffee, hot cocoa, tea or iced beverages with a touch of a button and in less than one minute. Regardless of whether you are brewing your first or fourth cup, it is always a fresh cup with this coffee maker. This brewer features a removable drip tray to allow the use of all cup sizes.
The Keurig K45 is also simple to use. Pour water into the single-user reservoir, choose the K-Cup pod, start brewing and in less than a minute your fresh cup of coffee is ready! The Keurig K45 comes with a charcoal filter, a water filter handle and a 12-pack K-Cup variety pack.
What are the main features of Keurig K45?
- It is a single-serve personal coffee maker.
- Uses the K-Cup Brewing System.
- Comes with a 3-cup size option: 6, 8 and 10 ounces.
- Available in 4 colors: Black, Rhubarb, Patriot Blue and Coconut White
- Can include a water filter (check the box).
- It has a 48-ounce water reservoir.
- Drip Tray is removable to accommodate tall mugs.
- It features an auto-shut off system which automatically shuts off the unit when not in use for 2 hours.
- Features the Quiet Brew Technology for lower brewing operating noise.
- It features the Microprocessor Technology to maintain water at perfect brewing temperature of 192 degrees and to consistently provide the exact amount of water.
- Comes with new needles for better flavor extraction of K-Cup beverages
Is it easy to operate?
The Keurig K45 is relatively easy to operate. To start brewing your coffee, plug in the coffee maker. Allow it to heat for about 4 minutes. Pour water into the reservoir all the way to the maximum water level. Close the lid. Make sure to clean the Keurig K45 before its initial use.
[amazon box=”B01HMF3LT2″ template=”bigbox”]
What types of coffee can be used?
The Keurig K5 is built to use different varieties of single-serve top brand K-Cup coffees, teas, ciders, hot cocoas and cappuccinos which come in over 250 flavors. Aside from the Keurig K-Cups, K-Cup brands such as Green Mountain, Twinnings, Grove Square, Happy Brew Shop and a lot more of other brands brew perfectly with this coffee maker. Try out the 30-count Top Brand Coffee, Tea, Cider, Hot Cocoa and Cappuccino K-Cup Variety Sampler Pack, Single-Serve Cups for Keurig Brewers.
What types of Coffee are produced?
K-Cups come in a variety of flavors such as dark roast, light roast, decaf and flavored coffee. Almost all top coffee brands are available in K-Cups including Starbucks, Folger and Dunkin Donuts. Espresso, cappuccino, and latte are also available. But of course, do not expect the Keurig K45 to make authentic espresso coffee like they make it in the top coffee shops. You need a specialized coffee maker for that.
K-Cups are good only for one cup of coffee. After brewing one K-Cup, dispose of it. Some people choose to brew a K-Cup twice. The second serving will, however, produce a weaker coffee. If you want a strong coffee, use a 6-oz cup or mug. With less water for 1 K-Cup, your coffee will be stronger.
Can it only make coffee?
The Keurig K5 is not limited to brewing only K-Cup single serve coffee. Any K-Cup works well with this coffee maker. K-Cups are available in a variety of flavors. Other than coffee there are other hot beverages that are available in K-Cups. Lemonades, iced coffees, and other cold beverages are available too. This coffee maker is not capable of brewing with cold water. What you can do is place ice cubes in a cup and allow the K-Cups to drip directly in it to produce iced beverages. To use a bigger cup for ice beverages, take off the tray. Another option is to brew a small cup of hot beverage and pour it into a larger cup with ice.
What about the water filters?
While coffee makers do not really need water filters, the Keurig K45 can include a water filter (check the box for inclusions). You can use the water filter if water has a weird taste. Water filters have charcoal to discard the sulfur content of water as well as other flavors so that the taste of coffee produced will be at its best. The water filter will not be about to take off all sediments in water that may affect the smooth operation coffee brewer. You need to regularly clean the machine in order to keep it working properly at all times.
What water types should be used?
Although the water filter can take care of the “off taste” of water, it is recommended to use bottled or filtered water at room temperature for the Keurig K45. This is especially when water from the faucet is high in chlorine content. It is not advisable though to use distilled water and water processed through reverse osmosis. Only use tap water when it does not have high mineral content.
Whether you are using tap, bottled water, this coffee maker needs to be descaled regularly. This unit has an indicator light to notify that descaling needs to be done but it does not display the amount of residue build-up in the unit. It is therefore recommended that descaling is done every 3 to 6 months.
At what temperature should the water be?
The water temperature of the Keurig K45 is fixed at 192 degrees. Keurig believes 192 degrees is the right level of temperature to brew the best tasting coffee and other hot beverages.
How much coffee per serving?
The Keurig K45 provides an option of how much coffee per serving to produce. You can brew coffee in 6, 8 or 10-ounce cups. K-Cups come in standard brews so the level of strength of the coffee it produces depends on the amount of water you use with it. If you want a strong coffee, use a 6 oz cup or mug. You can also go for “Extra Bold” K-Cups. These K-Cups produce a stronger coffee. If you want to use a large coffee mug, you can choose to use 1 K-Cup a second time or put in another K-Cup each time you brew to make your coffee stronger coffee. Remove the tray from the coffee maker to accommodate large coffee mugs.
How long does it take to brew a cup?
With a newly turned on Keurig K45 it would normally take 3-4 minutes for the unit to heat up and be ready for brewing. Then in about a few seconds you can enjoy your freshly brewed coffee.
Does it have an auto shut off the system?
The Keurig K45 comes with an auto-shut-off system which you need to turn on. When the auto-shut-off system is on, the unit will automatically shut off two hours after its last use. When it is off, the unit will remain in standby mode for the next use until you take off the plug.
What are the Available Colors?
The Keurig K45 is available in Black, Rhubarb, Patriot Blue and Coconut White. Regardless of color, this Keurig model comes with a silver gray trim. Black is real black that looks elegant with the silver gray trim of the machine. Rhubarb is close to the red color of most small appliances such as blenders and mixers. The Patriot Blue color is an attractive royal blue. It is slightly lighter than navy blue but not close to bright blue. Coconut White is the standard white like most white appliances.
What are the Specs?
The Keurig K45 measures 13” in height x 13.3” in diameter x 9.8” in width. With the handle open for the K-Cup total height is 17.1”. This unit weighs 12 pounds and comes with a 36” to the prongs of the 3-pronged plug. This Keurig model can accommodate a 6” tall mug with the drip tray and a 7” mug minus the drip tray. Power consumption is at 1500 watts with 120 VAC / 60 Hz.
What is the UL rating?
The Keurig K45 is listed as “for household use only”. It is not recommended for industrial use.
How to control the coffee maker
The Keurig K45 operates by simply pressing its buttons. The green indicator light means the unit is on. Red light means the unit is hot enough for use or when it is time clean the unit of residues. Blue light means you need to add water. Choosing cup sizes can also be easily done with a push of a button.
How do you make a fresh cup of coffee?
- Plug in the Keurig K45 Coffee Maker.
- Position a coffee cup or mug on the drip tray.
- Fill the water reservoir up to its maximum water level.
- Place a K-cup Coffee pack on the K-cup holder.
- Turn on Power and allow water to heat until the red indicator light turns off.
- Choose the brew size. Wait for the green indicator light to turn on.
- Wait for the coffee to complete brewing (about less than 1 minutes).
- Remove and discard the used K-cup Coffee pack.
- Enjoy your cup of freshly brewed coffee!
How is the coffee maker cleaned and maintained?
The Keurig K45 comes with an instruction manual for cleaning and maintenance. A video is also available.
- After each use, discard the K-Cup and clean the exterior of the brewer with a sponge or a smooth cloth.
- Throw away water in the drip tray, if there are any and clean it too. Do not run the drip tray on a dishwashing machine.
- Clean the reservoir after every couple of uses. Clean the filters and ports of the Water reservoir. This will ensure the unit’s smooth operation.
- Remove the K-Cup Holder Assembly and funnel in its holder. They are dishwasher safe. Position them on the uppermost shelf of the washer. Run at low temperature at least once a week.
- The needles of the coffee maker should also be cleaned. If the coffee maker is not dispensing properly, it means the needles are already clogged. Insert a paper clip on the needles to unclog them as it says in the instruction manual.
- Descale the coffee maker regularly to avoid huge mineral build-up.
- If you have not used the machine for more than a week, fill the reservoir with water and turn the machine on.
- There will always be water left in the internal reservoir compartment. Thus, always store the brewer correctly and in an area where it will not be exposed to freezing water. Freezing water will not damage the unit.
- Always empty the water reservoir. If stored at room temperature, use the machine 2 hours after you have taken it off its storage area. Clean the reservoir and, fill it with water and turn the machine on without a K-Cup at least 3 times, after which the brewer will be ready for use again.
Descaling is one of the most important maintenance procedures of this coffee maker. If you don’t regularly descale it, the K-cup won’t completely brew or worst your coffee will have an “off” taste. Descaling will also make your Keurig K45 last longer. Your schedule for descaling depends on the frequency you use your coffee maker and the hardness of the water you used it with.
- Disengage the K-cup holder from the brewer. Be careful with the 2 sharp needles.
- Rinse the holder with warm running water or pitch it into the dishwasher.
- Invert the cup holder and remove any obstruction that may have stocked to it.
- Remove and clean the drip tray (hand wash or in the dishwasher).
- Straighten a paper clip and insert it on the 3 needles of the K-cup holder to remove any residue.
- Clean the exterior of the coffee brewer with a soft damp cloth.
- Discard any water on the reservoir and fill it with undulated white vinegar.
- Run the coffee brewer for 4 cycles. The vinegar will clean all the internal parts of the coffee brewer.
- Keep the vinegar inside the coffee brewer for a couple of hours.
- Throw away the vinegar left inside the brewer and fill the reservoir with water.
- Run the coffee brewer until the “Add Water” indicator appears. This will wash out all the vinegar inside the brewer.
- If you still smell or taste vinegar, add water in the reservoir and run the coffee brewer again.
- Your coffee brewer is now ready to brew your favorite cup of coffee!
- 1 tablespoon of Cream of Tartar instead of vinegar can be used to descale the coffee brewer.
- Discarding the K-cup immediately after brewing is completed will keep the needles from being clogged.
- If you are brewing tea with a re-usable filter, immediately clean the K-cup assembly area of any loose tea that may settle in there and affect the taste of the next beverage to be brewed.
So the Keurig K45 won’t brew. No need to panic. Here are some of the reasons why it is acting that way and what can be done:
- Remove the water reservoir and position it again. It might be that the magnet is not in its right position.
- Run the coffee brewer with only water in it. It may be that there are some obstructions on the water line.
- The coffee brewer could be all clogged up and it is time to descale.
- The coffee brewer may need a few spanks on its bottom. Be sure to disengage the water reservoir first.
- If all these won’t work, contact Keurig customer care.
[amazon box=”B01HMF3LT2″ template=”bigbox”]
What does the box contain?
- (1) Coffee Maker
- (1) Water Filter (check the box)
- (1) Instructions Manual
- (1) Quick Start Guide
- (1) 12-pack K-Cup Variety Sampler Pack
What are the accessories included?
- Reusable filters for coffee grounds
- Additional water filters
- Mug for ice-cold beverages
- Storage holders for K-Cups
- 16 oz travel cup
What are the accessories that can be bought separately?
- Keurig Stainless Steel Travel Mug. This mug is leak, and spill-free because of the Contigo AutoClose Technology.
- A solution for Descaling. Scale that builds up in the coffee maker can cause it to malfunction. It is recommended that descaling is done every 3-6 months.
- My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter.
- K-Cup Brews. K-Cup brews come in over 250 varieties including those from 75 brands and the Top 10 Coffee Brands.
What are the after sales services?
Keurig can be easily reached by phone 7 days a week and anytime through email for any issues and concerns regarding the coffee maker. The seller is in charge with any refunds and replacements.
Replacement drip trays, exterior reservoirs, and K-Cup Holders are readily available.
What is the Warranty?
Keurig specifies that the Keurig K45 is only for normal household use. Should the coffee brewer malfunction one year from the date of purchase, Keurig reserves the right to either repair or replace the unit free of charge. Should the unit need to be replaced, Keurig will send a new or reconditioned unit. The new unit will again carry a one year warranty. Shipment costs will be covered by Keurig for authorized returns.
What are the advantages of the coffee maker?
The Keurig K45 comes with some salient points:
- It is an easy to use, single-serve coffee maker.
- Brews the best tasting coffee.
- You can use it for a variety of coffee flavors available in K-Cups.
- Aside from brewing coffee, it can also make tea, hot cocoa, hot cider, other hot as well as cold beverages available in K-Cups and other brands as well.
- It has a mess-free operation and descaling is easy.
- Since it was designed for the K-Cup Brewing System rather than only for the K-Cups produced by Keurig, non-Keurig K-Cups work well with this unit as well.
- Any reusable water filter is compatible with the unit thus it can be purchased separately so you can brew any ground coffee.
- It has a removable drip tray to accommodate taller mugs.
- All plastic parts are BPA-free.
- It has a 3-cup size option.
- A fresh cup of coffee is available in less than 1 minute.
- It is available in 4 attractive colors.
- It has a quiet operation.
What are the disadvantages?
Although the Keurig K45 offers a lot of advantages, it also has its flaws:
- Each brewing cycle can only produce a limited amount of coffee.
- Larger cup size means more water to use and a weaker coffee.
- The interior and exterior parts must be cleaned regularly for the unit to operate smoothly.
How about the price?
The Keurig K45 comes reasonably priced and offers value for money for a home-use single-serve coffee maker.
The Keurig K45 is the best coffee maker for home use. Aside from coffee, it also brews hot chocolate, tea and other hot and cold beverages. Its water reservoir allows the unit to brew a fresh cup of coffee in less than a minute. You also have the option to use a water filter to take care of “off-tasting” water (check box) and reusable filters (sold separately) to brew your own favorite ground coffee. It is easy to operate, clean and maintain making it a hassle-free small appliance to own. The nicest thing about this coffee maker is it can brew even non-Keurig K-Cups.