Infant car seats are one of the most valuable accessories you will need for your baby. As a matter of fact, you need to have one ready even before your child is born. She will need to be in a car seat on the trip home from the hospital. If you want or need to take baby around with you, he/she should always be in one of the best infant car seats.
- 9 Best Infant Car Seats Reviews 2017
- 1. Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat and Base
- 2. Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat (Click Connect 35)
- 3. Evenflo Nurture Infant Car Seat
- 4. Evenflo Embrace Infant Car Seat (LX)
- 5. Britax Infant Car Seat ( Elite B-Safe 35)
- 6. Baby Trend Infant Car Seat (Flex-Loc)
- 7. UPPAbaby Infant Car Seat (MESA)
- 8. Peg Perego Infant Car Seat (Primo Viaggio 4/35)
- 9. Maxi-Cosi Infant Car Seat (Mico Max 30)
Key Features To Look For When Buying An INfat Car Seats
In choosing infant car seats, here are the main features you need to look for.
- Easy to Use. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a rating sheet for infant car seats. One of the factors they take into consideration is the ease of installation and the clarity of the Owner’s manual. The higher the star rating, the easier it is to use the infant car seats.
- Ease in adjustment. The headrest and harness of the car seat need to be adjusted to make your baby perfectly fit in these infant car seats.
- LATCH System. Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH). These infant car seats need to be compatible with LATCH system so they can easily be installed directly to your car without having to secure it with the seatbelt.
- Base. Most infant car seats for the infant now include a plastic base. These are installed in the car, and this is where the infant car seats are attached. The infant car seat must easily attach and detach from the base.
- Comfort. A solid head support and a fully padded seat will give your baby all the comfort he needs.
- Easy to Clean. All covers should be easy to detach and should be machine washable.
- Impact Protection. Features to protect your baby from any eventually is of utmost importance.
With these things in mind, you should be able to choose the best infant car seat. It is also very important to note that not all car seats would fit into your car model. You also need to look into that aspect.
9 Best Infant Car Seats Reviews 2017
1. Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat and Base
- Seat interior lined with EPS energy-absorbing foam for improved impact protection
- Infant insert for smaller babies from 4-11 lbs
- 5-point harness with one-pull tightened
The Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat and Base come with features that make both car seat and base easy to install correctly and securely. The KeyFit base is easy to install because of features: the ReclineSure® is a leveling system loaded with springs to ensure that the car seat will perfectly fit into most vehicles; RideRight® are indicators located on both sides of the base to indicate that it has been accurately set at the right angle and the SuperCinch® tightens the LATCH with a single pull.
It can still be used with vehicles without a LATCH through a belt routing lock-off system (built-in). The base has a smooth side to protect vehicle seats. It comes with the Force-Multiplying Technology to make sure the base is attached tightly and securely without much effort.
When attaching the KeyFit infant car seats to its base, you will hear a click sound to ensure it has been firmly attached. The infant car seats easily attach and detaches from the base and can be done with only one hand.
The 5 point harness of the Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat comes with a single pull adjustment for easy tightening. For smaller infants to perfectly fit in the car seat, an infant insert is included. Babies 4 to 11 pounds will be comfortable and secure.
The car seat comes with a highly absorbent EPS foam for utmost protection against impact. It conforms to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) #213 which requires car seats to pass a 30mph crash simulation (frontal sled test) as well as the head area padding requirements.
The canopy of this item can be an adjustment in multiple positions. The carry handle is designed for easy and comfortable carrying.
The Infant Car Seat has an assembled dimension of 27.5”L x 24”H x 17”W and weighs 9.6 pounds (without base). For use with babies from birth up to 30 pounds.
2. Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat (Click Connect 35)
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat is easy to transport from the car to the stroller and everywhere in between
- Rear-facing car seat helps protect infants from 4 - 35 pounds; and up to 32", making it an excellent first car seat for baby
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment between the rear facing car seat to all Graco Click Connect...
The Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat (Click Connect 35) is a rear-facing car seat that comes in a lightweight design. It is for the use of babies from 4 to 35 pounds and with a maximum length of 32 inches. It comes with features to ensure an easy and secure installation to any vehicle.
The Click Connect Technology ensures an easy attachment of the car seat and to all Click Connect Strollers for an instant travel system. A click sound is heard each time the car seat is securely attached to the stroller or car seat base (included).
Car seat base is LATCH-ready for easy attachment to the vehicle seat, and so base remains permanently attached to the car. It comes with a level indicator to make sure base is securely attached.
This infant car seat includes a new born head support with soft cushions. It can be detached when baby has outgrown it. It includes a rotating canopy for sun protection and comes with a removable baby leg cover.
The Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat (Click Connect 35) is equipped with a 5-point harness system with front adjustments for easy in and out of baby from the car seat. This item has passed the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) #213 crash simulation test and the head area padding requirements. Car seat comes with an EPS foam for impact protection. These infant car seats weigh 7.5 pounds and is 28” x 18.7” x 15.6”.
3. Evenflo Nurture Infant Car Seat
- Separate stay-in-the-car base allows for easy transfer from home to car via the ergonomic easy-to-carry handle; Also...
- 5-point harness with 3 shoulder harness and 2 crotch buckle positions for better fit and longer use
- Auto belt guides for use without a base if preferred
The Evenflo Nurture Infant Car Seat is durable, reliable and beautiful. It comes with a car base that is easy to install in your car and can permanently stay there. Should you not want to use the base, the car seat comes with auto guides for use with the seat belt.
The car seat is adjustable with multiple seat positions as well as multiple recline positions. The seat is well-cushioned for baby’s comfort and protection. The seat also includes a foam liner for extra comfort and safety.
A collapsible canopy provides baby with protection against the sun. For smaller babies, a head insert (detachable) is also included.
For ultimate safety, the 5-point harness system has three buckles for the shoulders and 2 in the crotch area. They buckle and unbuckle easily.
This rear-facing infant car seat is for use with babies 4 to 22 pounds and below 29 inches. It’s carry on the handle allows mom to carry the baby with ease. The beautifully covered pads of the car seat can be detached, and machine washed.
This Evenflo product is 18” x 17.2” x 30” Base inches and weighs 12.3 pounds (base not included).
4. Evenflo Embrace Infant Car Seat (LX)
- Rated as a "best buy" by a leading consumer magazine
- Upfront harness adjust and adjustable auto base
- Three shoulder harness positions
The Evenflo Embrace LX is a rear-facing infant car seat with safety features that are twice the standards of the government’s crash test for energy absorbent foams and side impact protection. It compliments Evenflo strollers for an instant travel system.
The car base of this infant seat comes with adjustable reclines and is equipped with a level indication to make sure it fastens properly to the car seThe base can be attached permanently to the car.
This lightweight infant car seat that doubles as a carrier are lightweight so mom can carry the baby with so much ease and comfort. The harness system includes three shoulder positions that can be adjusted from the front for an easy buckle and unbuckle.
Designed for use for infants and babies between 4 to 35 pounds, this infant car seat includes a detachable head pillow providing additional support for baby. It also features a canopy for baby’s protection against the sun.
The pads on the seat can easily be removed, and machine washed. The Evenflo Embrace Infant Car Seat (LX) weighs 15.6 pounds (base not included) and has a dimension of 27.6” x 19.5” x 16.9”.
5. Britax Infant Car Seat ( Elite B-Safe 35)
- Safe-cell impact protection is an integrated system of safety components, including an impact absorbing base, impact...
- Safe-cell complete side impact protection plus gives your child an advanced layer of protection with an energy-absorbing head...
- Safe-cell impact absorbing base reduces the potential for injury by compressing to absorb crash energy
The Britax Infant Car Seat (Elite B-Safe 35) is a rear-facing infant car seat that can be used with or without a car base. When used with a car base, it can have three recline positions with controls located in front of the base.
Base comes with indicators on both sides to ensure that the base is properly attached to the seat of the car. If used without the base, it has belt guides for the car’s shoulder belts to ensure infant car seat is properly attached to the car’s seat.
The car seat features extra protection for baby with a headrest that is fully foamed and sides that are energy absorbent. These protective layers safeguard baby from impacts on the front and side. This item from Britax has the unique Safe-cell impact protection system for baby’s total safety. It includes a base with high impact absorption (base absorbs the crash impact) a stable steel frame and sides that are fully impact-protected (energy designed to protect baby’s head and neck).
This item features a no-retread harness which means it is easy and quick to adjust by simply pulling the lever.
The Britax Infant Car Seat (Elite B-Safe 35) comes with pads, foams and top quality fabric covers. Covers are detachable and machine washable.
This car seat is for use with babies between 4-35 pounds and up to 32 inches in height. It comes with an infant insert for the extra protection of babies below 11 pounds. The car seat can easily attach to a stroller.
6. Baby Trend Infant Car Seat (Flex-Loc)
- Easy one hand, front adjust 5 point safety harness with push button release
The Baby Trend Infant Car Seat (Flex-Loc) is easy to install in your car. Car base is compatible with most cars. It is also compatible with most strollers (for instant travel system), and most of all are comfortable and safe for your baby.
The car base of this infant seat is easy to install in almost all cars because its LATCH is flexible. Car base features four recline positions and is easily adjusted with the help of the level indicator. It is, therefore, easy to find the position your baby is most comfortable with and the position where he is safest, too.
Your baby can be easily buckled and unbuckled with the 5-point harness system with an easy one hand push button release in front. The adjustable harness has a no-thread design thus it can be easily adjustable even with only one hand.
The Baby Trend Infant Car Seat (Flex-Loc) is safe to use because it comes with a foam that is energy absorbent (for baby’s protection against crash impact on the side) and has passed all government crash tests. This item is for the use of babies between 5-30 pounds and up to 30 inches long This item weighs 18.8 pounds (without the base) and is 16.5’ x 16” x 28.5” inches.
7. UPPAbaby Infant Car Seat (MESA)
- An industry first, UPPAbaby Mesa's smart secure auto-retracting mini latch connectors combined with a red to green tension...
- Adjustable headrest with side impact protection
- No-rethread harness
The UPPAbaby Infant Car Seat (MESA) is lightweight, simple and safe. The best thing about this product is the fact that it is easy to install, it has all the required safety features, and it takes only one hand to release the car seat.
It uses the unique SmartSecureTM which uses an indicator (green indicator ON means it has been securely attached) to ensure tight fitting and LATCH connectors that make installing the car base to your car perfect, easy and quick (10-second accurate installation).
Level indicators are on both sides of the car base for accurate 4-position recline adjustments. Foot area of the car base can be adjusted in four different positions for ease in leveling. Car base has a smooth finish, so your car’s upholstery is protected without the need for seat protectors.
The infant car seat’s headrest and sides include a Side Impact Protection (SIP). This is to ensure the protection of baby from side crash impacts with headrest and sides of the car seat lined with energy-absorbing foam (EPS).
Its 5-point harness system is no-rethread which means front adjustment is again easy and fast. When attached to a stroller, all it needs is one click to release the car seat and settle it back to the car base.
The UPPAbaby Infant Car Seat (MESA) comes with crotch buckles in two positions. The Canopy with SPF 50+ sun protection can be tucked away when not in use. This item also comes with storage pockets for the buckles, so the metal parts are not exposed to the heat of the sun.
All fabrics in the car seat can be detached and are machine washable. The car seat can be used with the Cruz and Vista strollers. The car seat is 11.2 pounds with dimensions of 21.2” x 14.2” x 10.2”. It is for the use of infants between 4-35 pounds and up to 32 inches in height. For infants 4-8 pounds an infant insert is recommended (included; removable).
8. Peg Perego Infant Car Seat (Primo Viaggio 4/35)
- Rear facing infant car seat for babies 4 to 35 pounds and up to 32" tall, includes a base with an integrated anti-rebound bar
- Dual stage cushion system-first stage for 4 pound and up offers extra support on baby's neck and bottom, second stage...
- Side impact protection adjusts to six different positions with no rethreading required, protecting baby's head and shoulders...
The Peg Perego Infant Car Seat (Primo Viaggio 4/35) is a rear-facing car seat certified for safe use by the NHTSA. This car seat is approved for using in aircraft as well. It comes with a car base equipped with the LATCH system to ensure secure, easy and fast installation. You can also use the LATCH strap with your car’s seat belt to keep the base more secure and flexible.
Base comes with infinite recline positions with the level indicator (trizone). This base includes an anti-rebound bar for added protection and to further ensure that baby remains safe even during a collision. Car base dimension is 21.6″L x 14.6″W x 11.5″H.
This infant car seat can be used with the base. When not in use with the base, belt paths in the handlebar and seat aid belt routing.
The Peg Perego Infant Car Seat (Primo Viaggio 4/35) is equipped with energy absorbent Poly Styrene foam on both headrest and shell for baby’s head and body protection against sidecar crash impact. Side-impact Protection (SIP) can be adjusted in six different positions without the need for re-threading.
It comes with elastic straps to hide the 5-point harness system when not in use. Turn the knob, and the car seat can be adjusted at an angle your infant is comfortable with. This item has a 2-stage Cushion System: 1st stage is for neck and bottom support, and the 2nd stage is to give your baby more space as he grows.
Fabric covers of the cart seat are in Fresco Jersey (soft and breathable). They are removable and recommended for hand wash.
Also included is a large canopy (adjustable and detachable) with PPF 50+ for baby’s protection against the sun. Car seat dimension is 25.9″L x 17″W x 23.9″H. This item can be used with Peg Perego strollers for an instant travel system.
When used as a carrier, this product’s handles are comfortable to hold. This product is for the use of infants between 4 – 35 pounds and up to 32 inches in height. This product comes with a two-year warranty.
9. Maxi-Cosi Infant Car Seat (Mico Max 30)
- Rear-facing 4-30 pounds and up to 32 inches
- Lightest premium car seat in its class features Air Protect superior side impact protection and stay-in-car base with rebound...
- New self-wicking fabric: Natural fibers deodorize and draw liquids away from the skin to keep baby dry and comfortable
The Maxi-Cosi Infant Car Seat (Mico Max 30) is lightweight, rear-facing and is for the use of infants 4-30 pounds and between 19 inches – 32 inches in height. If the baby is between 4-6 pounds, the baby insert must be used.
You can use this seat with or without the car base included. If to be installed with the base, it is either through the LATCH anchor or the vehicle’s seat belt. If installed without the base, the car seat has a horizontal line guide to ensure the seat is in the right recline.
The Maxi-Cosi Infant Car Seat (Mico Max 30) comes with a no-rethread harness for easy adjustments. It is well-padded and comfortable. Its canopy is extendable to provide maximum protection for baby from the sun.
For added protection from the sun, a visor has been included. Seat fabrics are likewise comfortable, detachable and machine washable. Seat fabric is also self-wicking, so baby’s skin is protected from wetness and moisture keeping him dry even on hot days. When used as a carrier the car seat’s ergonomic handle is easy to carry.
These infant car seats are compatible with Quinny and Maxi-Cosi strollers to convert into an instant travel system. With adapters, it can also be used with other stroller brands.
The seat is equipped with an anti-rebound bar found at the bottom of the seat. It protects the car seat from rebounding towards the front car seat should there be a collision. The infant car seat weighs 8.9 pounds, and the base weighs another 8 pounds.
This item has an 8-year expiration starting from its manufacturing date (sticker of manufacturing date is under the seat). It is certified by the FAA as safe for aircraft use making it one of the most special infant car seats.
There are a lot of infant car seats in the market each having their unique features. It is always best that you scrutinize them well to be able to make the right choice. After all, it is your baby that is going to be in it. No comprises!