If you’ve been playing around with music mixing computer software for a while now and want to take the next step in writing good music, you’re in the right place. In this article, you’ll find the perfect home studio equipment list for beginners.
If you want to learn how to play the piano so you can record excellent songs, check out Pianoforall.
Whether you are a hobbyist or a newbie in the music industry, you don’t want to spend too much in the beginning. All you need are just a few things, and that is the best way to go. What if you lose your motivation after a few days or something else goes wrong? You won’t waste a lot of your money because you hadn’t spent it in the first place.
You can go for the cheap options. But keep in mind that you don’t want to go too cheap because that would seriously affect the quality of your music. The few things you do buy should preferably be of high-quality. That’s enough talking for now.
List of 7 Basic Home Studio Equipment List for Beginners
1. A Computer
- 1.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core M3 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.2 GHz) with 4 MB shared L3 cache
- 8 GB of 1866 MHz LPDDR3 RAM; 256 GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
- 12-Inch IPS LED-backlit Display; 2304-by-1440 Resolution
You probably already have a computer. But if you don’t, buy the most affordable one with the ability to support music development and mixing software. That would be enough in the beginning. Later on, as you get more into music, you can think of investing in a Macbook Pro or some other fast computer.
2. DAW/Audio Interface Combo
- FL Studio 12 Producer Edition is a complete software music production environment
- Audio editing and manipulation including pitch correction, pitch shifting, harmonization, time-stretching, beat-detection &...
- FL 12 has the ability to simultaneously capture all the inputs on your audio-interface
DAW is the Digital Audio Workstation that is used to a) record, b) edit and c) mix the music. Audio Interface is the hardware that is used to connect your computer with your other home studio equipment.
As a beginner, you’ll be better off if you buy these items as a combo. You’ll need to spend less money than if you were to buy them separately.
3. Studio Monitors
- Studio-quality design, sound and performance ideal for multimedia creation and entertainment
- Professional-grade components for optimized sonic performance
- Ultra-wide frequency range perfect for full-range multimedia (80 Hz - 20 kHz)
Studio Monitors are speakers with a flatter frequency than the ones we usually use for listening to music. The reason behind that is you can listen to the unenhanced and unaltered version of the music you are making. This way, you can judge your music better and make improvements.
4. One or Two Microphones
- The Set Includes: Condenser Microphone (1) + Adjustable Suspension Scissor Arm Stand(1) + Table Mounting Clamp(1) + Metal...
- The professional condenser microphone adopts the completely new audio circuit. Capture rich, full-bodied sound from sources...
- The adjustable scissor arm stand is made out of all steel construction, sturdy and durable. Folding type, convenient to...
You’ll buy a lot of microphones over time as you upgrade your studio more and more. But in the beginning, you just need one or two microphones. The type of microphone will depend upon the type of recording you want to do. There are different microphones for voice, acoustic guitars, piano, cymbal, drums, etc. So, explore each option and choose the one that best suits your need.
- Critically acclaimed sonic performance praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers
- Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with deep, accurate bass response
You probably already have headphones. But when we are talking about home studio equipment for sale, you need close back headphones in the beginning. As you grow your studio, you can invest in open back headphones as well. The former is a necessity and is used for tracking while the latter is the luxury and is used for mixing audio tracks. But both of them have different purposes.
6. Necessary Cables
- High Quality XLR Male and Female Connectors
- Built to Last
- Excellent Price, 20 Foot
As a beginner, you only need 3 cables: One long XLR cable for your microphone and 2 short XLR cables for other studio equipment. But first, check your hardware ports and confirm that they are for XLR cables. If they are TRS, buy the cables accordingly.
7. A Mic Stand
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE: Pyle compact base microphone stand smoothly quick and easy, raise or lower height adjustment from 33.5"...
- BOOM ARM EXTENDABLE: The adjustable telescoping boom arm in 33.46" inch long that makes this microphone stand the industry's...
- RELIABLE STURDY BASE: It is solid die-cast and base for about 235mm in diameter. Pyle mic stand will provide stability and...
Microphone stands can get expensive. But because you are just starting out, you only need a cheap but reliable microphone stand.
We all know songs recorded with piano music sound magnificent. So, if you want to learn how to play piano in the most uniquely way, check out Pianoforall.