Is there a kitchen without a mixing bowl? A mixing bowl can either be plastic, stainless steel/metal or glass. Some are of ceramic or copper but they are not too commonly used.
Each bowl material has their own specific use. It thus makes sense that you choose a bowl material based on where you intend to use the bowl and not just because you fancy a particular bowl material.
Some bowl materials may cause a chemical reaction to certain foods you mix in them. When this occurs, food may lose its favor, have a foul taste and may leave a permanent stain or odor in your mixing bowl.
Plastic mixing bowls are great. You can toss in about anything on it. Downside though is, plastic is a porous material and some foods mixed in it may leave a stain. They are perfect though for mixing dry ingredients.
Stainless Steel bowls are durable. While whipping eggs whites is best done in a copper bowl, a stainless steel bowl will also do a god job of causing the egg whites to peak and stiffen fast.
Avoid using a glass mixing bowl. It is too slippery and the egg whites will not achieve its right density. Stainless steel mixing bowls are perfect for mixing dry baking ingredients.
When marinating food, it is best to use a glass or ceramic mixing bowl. Some marinating ingredients, especially vinegar may react when mixed in a stainless steel bowl. Same holds true when mixing salad with a vinegar based dressing. Fruits are also best mixed in glass or ceramic bowls.
Plastic and stainless steel bowls, especially when not washed well tends to retain the flavors of food mixed in them. Fruits are highly absorbent and may tend to take in these flavors.
When whipping butter, cream, or other foods, do them in a glass or plastic mixing bowl. Whipping in a stainless steel bowl will cause them to taste like metal. When dealing with foods high in acid such as vinegar sauces and tomatoes, use a glass or stainless steel bowl.
Plastic is a porous material and will tend to absorb the taste of these ingredients. Not to mention the fact that they can leave a permanent stain.
12 Best Mixing Bowl Sets Reviews in 2017
1. Pyrex 8 Piece Bowl Set
- Set includes: 1 each 1-Quart, 1-1/2 Quart, 2-1/2 Quart, 4-Quart Mixing Bowls with Matching Colored Lids
- Made of nonporous glass that won't warp, stain, or absorb odors
- Glass is preheated oven, microwave, fridge, freezer & dishwasher safe
This set comes with just the right sizes for mixing bowls- 1 quart, 1 ½ quart, 2 ½ quarts and 4 quarts. They also come with green, orange, blue and red covers respectively. It is Pyrex®, so naturally, it is glass.
Being glass, these mixing bowls are non-porous so they will never absorb flavors and odors of the food you mix in them. Neither will food stain them. Plastic covers are BPA free, thus safe to use. These mixing bowls are “safe” in almost everything in your kitchen – oven, microwave, freezer and dishwasher.
These bowls are not just great for mixing, they are great for storing food, too. They are easy to clean. They are stackable for easy storage. Glass and plastic covers come with a 2 year limited warranty.
2. OXO 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- 3-Piece Set includes 1.5-quart, 3-quart and 5-quart Mixing Bowls
- 1-1/2-quart size perfect for whisking eggs or salad dressings, 3-quart size designed for use with electric mixers, 5-quart...
- Non-skid bottoms stabilize Bowls while mixing, even on a tilt
These 1 ½ quart, 3 quarts and 5 quart mixing bowls in green, yellow and blue respectively are made of hard plastic material. Each bowl comes with a back rubber non slip handle on the “rear” and a wide spout on the “front.”
Handles are soft to the touch and allow a good grip so bowl will not slip off from your hands even when wet or oily.
Spout allows the easy and mess-free pouring of liquids and batters.
The bottom of the bowls also have the black rubber to keep them in place even when working with an electric hand mixer.
The 1 ½ quart bowl is ideal for egg whisking and mixing salad dressings. The 3 quart bowl is ideal for mixing batters with an electric mixer because they come with higher walls.
Circumference of the 5 quart bowl is wide enough to mix salads. These bowls are dishwasher safe and stain-free. They are stackable for easy storing, too.
3. Bellemain Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- MEASURE, MIX AND STORE IN THE SAME CONTAINER: These are not your ordinary mixing bowls. Bellemain Mixing Bowls come with...
- STYLISH UPSCALE MODERN DESIGN: Stainless steel always looks great, but extra touches like measurements etched on the inside...
- NON-SLIP COATING MAKES YOUR JOB EASIER: The silicone coating on the bottom of the bowl looks great while keeping your bowl...
This set of four 18/10 stainless steel mixing bowls, (1 quart, 1.5 quarts, 3 quarts and 5 quarts) come with easy to remove black silicone covers that tightly fit. Since they are made of high grade stainless steel, they can withstand temperatures below freezing point and up to 390 0F.
This means they are freezer and oven safe. Covers are BPA-free so mixture or food stored in these bowls remain fresh for a longer time. Bottom of the bowls also come with silicone coatings so they will not slip on the countertop.
Gorgeous is an understatement for these shiny mixing bowls that will definitely endure all the tough jobs you make it do. The inside of the bowls have quart and liter measurement markings eliminating the need for liquid measuring cups.
Mixing anything in these bowls is such a breeze. They come with smooth edges making them comfortable to hold and safe to use. They are dishwasher safe and rust-free too.
4. Pyrex Prepware Mixing Bowl Set
- Set includes: (1) each 1-quart, 1-1/2-Quart, and 2-1/2-Quart Glass Mixing Bowls
- Made of nonporous glass that won't warp, stain, or absorb odors
- Glass is preheated oven, microwave, fridge, freezer & dishwasher safe
Almost everyone grew up with Pyrex® mixing bowls. As they say, if its glass mixing bowls, it’s got to be Pyrex®. These 1, 1.5 and 2.5 quart basic mixing bowls are what every kitchen should have.
Their round ergonomic design makes it easy to mix all the ingredients you need either for cooking or baking.
These clear mixing bowls are dishwasher, microwave, oven and freezer safe. Pyrex® bowls always come with a 2 year limited warranty.
5. Cuisinart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (CTG-00-SMB)
- 1-1/2-Quart, 3-Quart and 5-Quart sized bowls
- High quality stainless steel
- Dishwasher safe
This set of three stainless steel mixing bowls each come with lids that seal tightly, are easy to put on and remove. Set comes with a 1.5, 3 and 5 quarts mixing bowls.
They are made of high grade stainless steel that can withstand tough everyday use. They are perfect for blending cake batters and mixing salad dressings and sauces.
Bowls feature rims that are rolled for easy pouring without any drips.
The bottoms of the bowls are flat thus they will not move or tilt while working with an electric hand mixer. They are stain free and will not retain the odors of food mixed in them.
These bowls are dishwasher, freezer and refrigerator safe. They nest for ease in storing (bowls and covers) and they come with a 1 year limited warranty.
6. ChefLand Set of 6 Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- SET OF 6 ESSENTIAL SIZES - 0.75, 1.5, 3, 4, 5, and 8 Quart bowls ideal for whisking, mixing, marinating and serving. Prepare...
- COMPACT STORAGE CAPABILITY - Who has space in their cupboards for loose bowls rolling around? ChefLand makes your life that...
- STYLISH YET ROBUST - Designed with durable 18/8 stainless steel construction and finished with a reflective, mirrored...
These set includes all the mixing bowl sizes you need. Mixing bowls are made of high grade 18/8 stainless steel with mirror finish. Bowls are lightweight and bottoms are flat so they remain stable even when mixing with an electric hand mixer.
Lips of the bowls are curve for easy and mess-free pouring. You can mix about everything in them.
They can also be used on top of a cooking pot to make a double broiler for melting chocolates. They are stackable for easy storage and are dishwasher safe.
7. VonShef Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set (5-piece set)
- This Stylish 5 Piece Professional Stainless Steel Bowl Set is a great kitchen staple
- 1 QT, 1.75 QT, 2.25 QT, 3 QT, 4 QT
- These bowls aren't ordinary mixing bowls. They are stainless steel, anti slip, with bowl covers, easily stackable and have a...
These 5 bowls are made of durable stainless steel material. Bowls come with blue easy to close and open lids. The bottoms of the bowls have anti-slip coatings.
Each of the bowls comes with a graduated liquid measuring guide in cups and quarts. The 1 quart bowl is good for 4 cups, 1.75 quarts – 8 cups, 2.25 quarts – 10 cups, 3 quarts – 14 cups and 4 quarts – 18 cups. The lid of the 4 quart bowl has a hole in the center to fit the 3 grater attachments.
You can also slip in an electric hand mixer in the hole for mess-free whisking and mixing. A small cap to cover the hole is included so bowl can also be used as a storage container. Bowls are stackable for easy storing. They are dishwasher safe too. Lids require hand-washing only.
8. Vremi Plastic Mixing Bowl Set (13 pieces)
- MULTI TOOL MIXING AND MEASURING SETS - Everything you need for mixing and baking is in this essential all purpose set. The...
- STACKABLE FOR EASY KITCHEN STORAGE - Bowls, colander, sifter and measuring tools are constructed from lightweight durable BPA...
- RAINBOW COLORS FOR PARTIES - Each piece in this decorative nest set comes in its own bright color to create a happy vibe in...
This mixing bowl set is amazing! For less than $30 you get 4 mixing bowls, 4 measuring cups and 5 measuring spoons, all in attractive colors.
All 13 pieces fit atop each other for easy storing. With this set you have everything you need for your baking project and of course for food preparation, too.
The yellow 2.4 cups mixing bowl comes with handles and a spout for easy and mess-free pouring of liquids and batters. The blue colored colander and purple lined mesh strainer/sifter also come with handles.
The red 4 liter / 16 ½ cup mixing bowl comes with a non-slip rubber at the bottom so it remains stable even during rigorous mixing.
Standard size measuring cups and spoons (US and metric measurements) for liquid and dry ingredients complete the set.
This 13 piece preparation set is made of food-grade plastic, are non-toxic and BPA free making them safe to use for all your recipe ingredients. They are dishwasher safe, too.
9. Finedine Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6)
- With graduating sizes of ¾, 1.5, 3, 4, 5 and 8 quart, the bowl set allows users to be well equipped for serving fruit...
- Stainless steel bowls with commercial grade metal that can be used as both mixing bowls and serving bowls. These metal bowls...
- An easy to grip rounded-lip on the stainless steel bowl set makes handling easier while a generous wide rim allows contents...
These mixing bowls come in ¾, ½, 3, 4, 5 and 8 quarts. These are ideal bowl sizes for all your baking and marinating needs. They are gorgeous looking in their mirror finish so they can double as serving bowls, too.
They are made of high grade stainless steel that will not rust, absorb food odors nor stain. Bowls feature rounded lips making them easy to hold. Rims are wide enough for mess free and even pouring of liquids and batters.
All bowls come with flat bases so they do not move while mixing even when used with an electric hand mixer.
These silver bowls are stackable for easy and clutter-free storing. They are dishwasher, freezer and refrigerator safe, too. This mixing bowl set with stainless steel construction is so durable they are scratch and dent free allowing you to use them for long years.
10. AVACRAFT Set of 3 Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- 18/10 STAINLESS STEEL MIXING BOWLS: The Set comes with 3 mixing bowls with lids; with convenient sizes 1.5 quart bowl with...
- ALL-IN-ONE FUNCTION: Measure, mix, store the food in the same bowls. BPA free tight fit lids for long lasting freshness of...
- NON-SLIP BOTTOM AND EASY HANDLE: High quality silicone bottom keeps bowl steady while mixing. Non-slip food safe silicone...
Three high quality 18/10 Stainless steel mixing bowls for measuring, mixing, serving and storing food!
All 3 bowls come with silicone coated bottoms that curve around the bowls so they remain stable on the countertop or dinner table. They have silicone covers that are BPA free for safe use and for food to remain fresh longer.
Handles are soft to the touch and provide an easy grip. Covers tightly seal the bowls. Quart and liter liquid measuring guides are etched inside the bowls.
Bowls also have spouts for easy and mess-free pouring of liquids and batters.
The 18/10 construction with matte finish make the bowls rust, corrosion and stain resistant. The matte finish also ensures no scratches are left on the bowls due to rigorous mixing and even when an electric hand mixer is used.
Bowls are stackable for easy and clutter free storage. They are refrigerator, freezer and dishwasher safe. Convenient and easy to use for marinating, mixing cake batters and all kitchen mixing needs, tossing and serving salad. These bowls are in 1.5, 3 and 5 quart sizes.
11. Sagler 5-Piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- Great mixing bowl high quality mixing bowl set
- Greater fits on the 2 large bowls this set includes 1-qt., 1.75-qt., 2.25-qt., 3-qt. & 4-qt. with matching lids bowls and...
- Stainless steel mixing bowls dishwasher-safe
This stainless steel mixing bowl set comes in 1 quart, 1.75 quarts, 2.25 quarts 3 quarts and 4 quarts. Each mixing bowl comes with a cover. The cover of the 2 larger bowls have holes in the center to fit in the 3 grater attachments so you can grate and mix vegetables on the same bowl.
A small cap seals the hole when graters are not in use and so the mixing bowls can be used for storing food.
The holes in the covers also allow you to slip in a wire whisk or electric hand mixer for mess-free mixing.
Bowls have flat rubber coatings to remain stable on the countertop while mixing. They also have curved lips for easy and mess-free pouring. Mixing bowls are lightweight for easy use and stackable for easy storage. They are dishwasher safe, too.
12. Pyrex 9-Piece Glass Mixing Bowls
- MIXING BOWL SET - ideal for cooking, baking, storing food and even serving bowls; made of clear glass, the pyrex bowl...
- ENVIRONMENTAL - prep bowls are constructed of non-porous glass which won't absorb stains or odors; pyrex glass containers are...
- PYREX STORAGE SET INCLUDES - 8 durable and heavy duty pieces -1-Quart, 1-1/2 Quart, 2-1/2 Quart and a 4-Quart large mixing...
This 9 piece glass mixing and storage bowls are a must have for any kitchen. Ideal for mixing baking ingredients, marinating and any food preparation, serving food on the dinner table and storing left-over food.
Set comes with 4 glass bowls, 4 colorful lids with free French Whisk and Paksh cloth. It’s Pyrex® so its heavy duty and durable. They are made of non-porous and clear glass so bowls will not stain and neither will they retain food odor.
BPA free plastic lids tightly fit on the bowls making them leak free. Bowls are microwave and oven safe for all re-heating and cooking needs.
Rims are ½ inch wide making them easy to grip and to ensure they do not slip off your hands. Width of the rims ensure easy and mess-free poring of liquids and batter, too.
They are refrigerator and freezer safe for convenient storage of left-over food. Bowls and plastic lids are also dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Be sure though to place lids on the top rack of dishwasher.
Bowl sizes are 1 quart, 1.5 quarts, 2.5 quarts and 4 quarts. Bowls and lids come with a 2 year limited warranty.
Mixing bowls are essential tools needed in every kitchen. There are a lot of mixing bowls available in the market each with their own unique features. Whether glass, plastic or stainless steel, make sure you get mixing bowls that are suited for the kind of preparation you need them for.
Glass mixing bowls are considered by most as the best mixing bowls. They are versatile and look gorgeous especially since most come with colorful lids.
You just have to handle them with care to avoid chips, cracks and especially breakage. Stainless steel mixing bowls are durable and most come with finishes that make them pretty serving dishes. Plastic mixing bowls are handy and they mostly come in attractive colors.
It can be a bit confusing to decide on the best mixing bowl sets. If you have a clear picture of what you need, the decision would come in naturally. Easy to use, easy to clean, easy to store, safe, durable, in sizes that you need and aesthetically appealing. That does not look like difficult features to look for.